Karma platform was developed to create business software that combines the flexibility of tools widely used in spreadsheets with the stability and security of corporate business management systems.
Spreadsheets in general are great at quickly creating business tools but they lack many key features, such as:
- Logging events (what was changed in which worksheet and exactly when?)
- Attaching files and images (adding rich media content to cells)
- Multi-user support (sharing and version control)
- Customizable appearance and functionality (white label support)
- Mobile applications (edit and manipulate data within spreadsheets from a mobile screen)
Applications can be generated in seconds by simply "draging and droping” a normalized Excel table into the Karma Platform.
1.2 What does a normalized Excel table mean?
The only input that Karma Platform requires - in order to create a new web and mobile app - is a spreadsheet file. A spreadsheet needs to meet the minimum requirements for Karma Platform, which is showcased in the following example.
Let’s call our sample application “My Company”. It is a fictional company that has employees, customers, cars etc.
- First it is necessary to create worksheets for each of the “objects” that you want to represent in the application. An object is a “worksheet” or “tab” which describes various entities like Cars, Customers or Staff.
- After you have created the worksheets, the next step is to think about specific properties that define the objects. These properties (called fields) must be listed in the very first row of each worksheet. Examples of fields include: “Name”, “Age”, “Address” for a Customer; or the “Brand”, “Model name” and “Licence plate” for a Car. Important: The first row must be the “header” row, with the field names. Please do not use special characters here. (Please avoid symbols like “&”.)
- Once the first row of the worksheet has been formatted to contain the property’s title or description, it’s time to fill the spreadsheet with data.
1.3 How to install your spreadsheet?
Register at apps.karmaplatform.com through your email address or Facebook/Google+ profile.
After successfully logging in, simply drag&drop your spreadsheet file or click the “Add App” button to browse files.
As soon as you have added your spreadsheet file, Karma starts processing the data and automatically preparing your app within seconds.
1.4 How does Karma work?
Your generated application has a familiar spreadsheet view. On the left side there are the objects (previously your Worksheets or Tabs), field names above as column headers and of course the data below.
To add, edit or delete a record, just use the toolbar, after selecting a record:
1.5 Editing a record
You can edit a record by pressing the edit button or by double-clicking on it and making your modifications.
In this screen, all the fields are editable and it is also possible to add new comments and see who created or modified a record in the activity stream.
This document is a trial version of the Karma platform. If you would like to know more about the product and its features, please contact us directly.Download sample spreadsheet here